Monday, January 24, 2011

Book #4 under my belt

Recently I finished the fourth novel of the 100 that I plan to read this year that I haven't read before. I am starting to realize how great a task it is but I will press on.

The Rising Tide: A Novel of World War II   is a historical fiction novel by Jeff Shaara. I greatly enjoyed this book. He set it during the campaign in Africa. He tells it from the perspectives of leaders on both sides and men on the ground on the Ally side. It's interesting how he paints the General Rommel in such a way that you like the man while realizing how horrible the Nazi's themselves were. We see Rommel in an almost complimentary light.
The book in general was an enjoyable if a bit long read that informed and entertained. I finished it knowing more about that campaign and WWII in general than I had ever known before. A must read for a History buff or anyone who enjoys historical fiction. 

The Rising Tide: A Novel of World War II

No comments:

Post a Comment